Working Out



I have been wanting to blog about this topic for a while. Working out has become a part of my life, especially in the past year. I have always been an active person but last year I kicked it up a notch.
Last March I joined a gym. I felt like I really needed to do it. For my sanity, as a stress reliever, to get me out of my "same old, same old" routine, and of course to help me feel a bit better about this 30 year old, mom of 2 body of mine.
It costs me $40 a month which I sell extra things on Ebay to pay for. It includes the classes and childcare for Ezra. Although we are trying desperately to watch our finances and pay off debt, for me this $40 is the best spent money and non negotiable in our budget discussions (I gave up cable to keep the gym). I can sacrifice the hair cuts, the expensive makeup, and the girls nights out right now so I can have my time to work out.
This morning I headed to my hip hop dance class which was followed by a yoga class. The hip hop class helps me let loose a bit and reminds me to not take myself so seriously! I love to get in there and shake my boot-ay to the music. I crack up at myself at least once, usually more, during that time! The time doing yoga really reminds to to take time to breathe deeply and just listen to my body. During the day I find I am focusing all of my energies on the boys, my husband, and my responsibilities, that I neglect this body of mine. I forget to loosen my shoulders, unclench my jaw, and just fill my lungs with air. Its so necessary!
So I encourage all of you to pay attention to and pamper your body. I want nothing more than to be a good mom to my boys and one of the best ways I can do that is to care for myself so I am healthy, relaxed (not stressed), energetic, and happy. I also want to be a great wife and I find I am much easier to get along with when I work out. Also, I feel more confident in my own skin and feel sexy wearing fun little lingerie :)
Now, with all of this said...if you cannot pay to go to a gym, thats ok! For YEARS I just used Tae Bo videos or yoga dvd's at home. I even found a great 30 minute workout on PBS called "Body Electric" that I did after having Canaan.
I am not up to snuff on the health benefits of working out. I don't have the data or the percentages but obviously it is good for us and helps keep us looking and feeling younger and healthier and happier.
If nothing else, spend 30 minutes a day dancing around your house. Turn up the music and dance with the kids. The boys and I love to dance around and act silly. Or start a garden this spring and spend time digging, pulling weeds, tilling, and planting.
Lets be the healthiest, hottest, and happiest mama's (and daddy's) we can be!